Recently I was working with a client and we were discussing her energy levels or lack there of, that she experienced the week before. Now I know I am not alone when I ask: how many of us have felt like we have hit a wall and it is only Monday at 3:00- yikes talk about not starting your week out on the right foot.
Here is a quick list of some of the traditional energy zappers along with remedies of enhancing our energy.
- Maintain stable blood sugar – when our blood sugar spikes (candy, caffeine, simple carbs) we get an immediate lift but then we all quickly crash. If you maintain even or balanced blood sugar your energy levels will remain even and balanced throughout the day
- Don’t skip meals – it impossible to maintained balanced blood sugar if you miss meals.
- Ensure you have healthy snacks around to keep your blood sugar balanced and to keep your energy up ( hard boiled egg, humus and veggies or whole grain crackers, nuts, apples with almond or peanut butter, any sort of fruit or veggie are all great easy options).
- Don’t mistake dehydration for hunger. If you have recently finished a meal and logically feel you shouldn’t be hungry, grab a glass of water and see if you were truly in need of hydration vs. food; you will know within 5-10 minutes of consuming the water if you are still hungry or now satisfied.
- Stress and Anxiety, these two emotions will absolutely drain us if we allow them too. Try to incorporate breathing exercises, meditate, do yoga, go for a walk, garden, read – find your method for stress and anxiety relief and practice it. As you hone your practice, stress and anxiety will not rule you, you will rule them.
- Magnesium and B Vitamins are linked to energy levels – incorporate almonds, avocado, spinach, fish, bran cereal to ensure you are getting enough of these necessary vitamins and minerals in your diet.
- Walk 10 min every day. It has been proven that adding just 10 minutes a day of walking increases your energy levels and moods. Your joints start loosening up, the blood is flowing and pumping, you are getting fresh air and sunshine (Vitamin D), which all leads to increased energy and an improved mood after only a couple of weeks of practice.
Try to incorporate these into your daily life today to get the increased energy that you need and deserve.
Want some personalized help with your family’s health and fitness? Schedule your complimentary 30 minute session with me now.